Since the middle ages, alongside the Campo Santo Teutonico, Santa Maria dell’Anima was one of the major destinations for pilgrims visiting from north of the Alps and from the Holy Roman Empire. They were provided with food and a place to sleep for up to three nights. Most of the names of these pilgrims visiting Rome were recorded in certain registers. Up until a few years ago, one of these registers covering the period from 1778 to 1819 was available, with most entries dated in the 1780s. This source must now be considered as missing. Thanks to earlier black-and-white images of the register it has now been reconstructed and transferred into an online data base. This provides opportunities for this source to be evaluated by international scientists and, by linking it to regional and local findings, a chance to pursue broader studies on pilgrims at the end of the 18th century, applying new questions of cultural history.